Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Will it work? Pins to Projects: Jewelry Cleaner Recipe

My wedding ring always seems to be filthy. I'm constantly scrubbing it with a toothbrush to clean the diamond. My childhood friend Rachel pinned THIS recipe for jewelry cleaner, so I decided I would try it.

Here are my rings before. There is lots of build-up on the prongs and the area where the two overlap.






To clean the jewelry, you put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of a bowl. Then you heat up one cup of water for 1-2 minutes. Pour that in the bowl. Add 1T each of baking soda, salt and dish soap. Add your jewelry for 5-10 minutes (I went with 10)





Remove your jewelry. Rinse with cool water. Dry with a cloth.





It got most of the junk of the gold, but my diamond is still pretty cloudy. I'd say that it does work, but only on metal, not gemstones. I wouldn't try it with a soft item like an opal or a pearl.

No comments:

Post a Comment