Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Switch to Minimalist

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned that I wanted to make the switch to minimalist shoes. I couldn't decide between a couple of different brands. Well, I ended up going with the Merrell Barefoot Access Arc. I had tried them on at the Merrell outlet, but they didn't have the color I wanted in my size. I found them on Amazon for $10 cheaper than the outlet.


Here they are!

I've done a couple of runs in them so far. I started with 1 mile and have done up to 3 miles in a single run. I was a midfoot striker, so I thought the transition wouldn't be as noticeable. Boy was I wrong. My calves can definitely tell the difference. I have been wearing my compression socks after ever run because the zero drop from heel to toe is so different than I am used to wearing. Other than that, they are very comfortable. I looked at the strike pattern on my shoes and I seem to be running in them properly with no real demonstrated over- or underpronation. They are so comfortable and I haven't developed any blisters while wearing them, but I haven't put in any runs over 3 miles. I'm halfway tempted to wear them for the Maryland Half Marathon this weekend, but I won't give into the temptation because I'm running that for the Greenebaum Cancer Center and I am running in my Reebok Pink Ribbon shoes in memory of a family friend who passed away 3 years ago after a long battle with breast cancer.

Only time will tell if I really like the minimalist shoes, but so far so good.

Have you made the switch to a minimalist shoe?

2 comments:

  1. :) I think I have that same shoe in that very same color. Love them for muddy trails, do you like them on pavement? Am newly trying out the road glove for pavement running, good so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them so far on the road, but I only have about 11 miles on them so far ;) They are more cushy than the other glove shoes Merrell sells.

      Delete