Friday, February 8, 2013

Turkey, Greens and Hummus "Sushi Rolls"

For those of you who are aware of my children's strange eating habits, you know why I do this. For those of you who aren't, here's a quick recap. Squirty is 4.5. He will eat ANYTHING and everything. Milk Dud is 2.5 and eats very few things. Hummus is a favorite of both, so when I get the urge/time I like to make them hummus based "sushi rolls."


These are pretty easy to make. First I take a rolling pin and flatten out a piece of bread.


I roll it until the bread looks like this. If you want to cut off the crusts, this would be the point to do it.



Then I coat it with a fairly thick layer of hummus. You can use any kind, depending on the flavors you like.


Next, I add a couple of decently-sized pieces of salad greens. I use whatever I have on hand. Spinach is a favorite of my older son. You can probably add more, but my sons usually eat more than the 4 you get out of one piece of bread. You could also add cucumbers or carrot sticks. I just didn't have any on-hand.


Then I add one piece of turkey, or whatever deli meat or cheese I might have.


Then I roll it up very tightly starting at the end with the veggies and meat.


I cut it in quarters and serve it. I usually make 3-4 of these. Squirty will eat at least 8 pieces depending on what else he has for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment