Friday, February 22, 2013

My love/hate relationship with cross training

I have a love/hate relationship with cross training. I have days when I would rather do ANYTHING but run. I have days when I would rather run and do nothing else. I know that to train properly sometimes you need to throw in another activity. Overtraining certain muscles can cause injuries in others. I neglected my quads after Ragnar and irritated my IT band. I ran my first half marathon wearing a knee brace to try and cut down on the pain.

I've been trying to integrate at least one other type of activity into my workout routine. It's tough when you have a training plan that suggests you run 5 days a week AND have small children and things to do most days of the week. This week, I managed to cross train TWICE. That never happens. I've been loving the trampoline class at my gym. I try to work it into my Monday schedule. I did half of a kickboxing class today. I only made it through half because I had errands to run.

How do you cross train?

2 comments:

  1. Do you need 5 run sessions a week?
    My last marathon was done on mostly 3 plus x training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cut it to 4. I found that 4 seems to work best with my schedule and pain tolerance levels. Also, it gives me a little leeway if something happens.

      Delete