Friday, February 1, 2013

I'm wearing red today. Are you?

I'm wearing red today. I put both of my sons in something red today, too. No, I don't support a team wearing red in a game this weekend. No, I don't have to wear read for work and my sons don't have to wear it for school. Yes, red is my favorite color, but that isn't why I'm wearing red.

Today is what the National Heart Association calls National Go Red Day to help raise awareness of cardiovascular disease in women. Did you know that these conditions cause the deaths of approximately 500,000 people every year and are the number one killer of women? Heart disease is generally thought of as a disease of older men, but it most definitely affects women of all ages. 

I had high blood pressure during both of my pregnancies. I am overweight. I am at risk for cardiovascular disease, but I'm doing something about it. A little over a year ago, I took up running. I have competed in a few races and most recently a half marathon. I'm currently training for a 10-mile race in April and hopefully a full marathon in the fall. Since I started running, my resting pulse is in the 40s and my blood pressure is consistently at good levels. I hope through more careful eating and exercise, I can get my weight to a healthy level and reduce my risk of cardiovascular disease. 

I'm wearing red today. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment